Oils & cold wax masterclass - 3 day workshop in Coverack, Cornwall: 24-26 April 2024
What will be covered?
Building on your existing knowledge the workshop will focus on using advanced techniques such as solvent pours, glazes, blending as well as covering technical aspects relating to tools, surfaces, colour, values, textures, shapes, and composition.
Over the three days we will focus on creating a triptych on prepared boards, working intuitively, and allowing our work to evolve. We will experiment with a limited palette and with glazes and creating transparent tints.
The workshop will include information about techniques, as well as demonstrations but more importantly there will be time for dedicated and focused painting and individual support.
- Using transparent and opaque colours to create depth and atmosphere.
- Creating transparent tints and glazes.
- Using glazes to harmonise your painting.
- Colour mixing, working with a limited palette and harmonising your palette.
- Building rich layers of texture, patterns, marks, and colour to form rich, complex foundations to your paintings.
- Solvent reduction techniques and solvent pours.
- Masking, stencilling and transfer techniques.
- Incorporating pigments and loose powders such as marble dust into your work.
- Incorporating pigment sticks and oil bars and other drawing mediums.
- Experimenting with embedding materials.
- Problem-solving compositions by exploring colour, value, contrast, and shapes.
- Working on a triptych: three 30 x 30 cm boards mounted with Arches Huile paper.
- Individual 1:1 session for anyone who feels they would benefit from individual support with their practice.
Wednesday 24 April to Friday 26 April 2024, from 10 am until 4 pm with an hour for lunch.
What shall I bring with me?
All materials and use of tools are covered in the price of the workshop. Wear some old clothes or bring an apron or old shirt to protect your clothes.
Please bring a packed lunch with you.
Where is the workshop being held?
This workshop will be held at Lambeage Hall in the beautiful village of Coverack, South West Cornwall. The hall is situated right on the coast and has some of the most fantastic views and is also within walking distance of the local pub for our post workshop debriefs!
Travelling to Coverack
There are train services to Penzance, Cornwall and an extensive network of bus services with frequent connections from Penzance.
If you are travelling by car there is a car park as you come into the village which is about 10 minutes walk to Lambeage Hall.
The hall itself only has disabled parking available and accessibility to it isn't great as there is a set of steps to go down to get to the hall.
The legal stuff
The cost of the workshop includes a £50 non-refundable booking fee.
Refunds can be requested up to one month before the workshop and will be processed (minus the booking fee) within 14 days.
If I find that I cannot run the course as scheduled because of COVID or similar crazy world stuff then I will look to reschedule but will also offer you the option to refund your booking payment.